When I finished University, I set myself a number of reading challenges (which you can see here) to encourage me to read more fiction after three years of sticking to reading lists. Before I went to University, not only did I used to read lots of fiction, but I also used to watch lots of films. I did watch the occasional film at University, but as they were usually with others, they had to be films everyone would enjoy (so lots of the time ended up being big Hollywood Blockbuster movies). So, I have set myself a number of challenges to force me to watch a wider variety of films, TV shows, and to go to the theatre.
- Watch the entire IMDB Top 250
- Watch at least 10 more films in a foreign language
- Watch a silent film
- Go to the National Theatre and watch a play
- Watch a film I have never heard of
- Go and see a musical
- Watch 2 TV shows in a foreign language
- Watch all the Studio Ghibli films
- Watch some of the classic Disney films I didn’t watch as a child
- Go to a midnight showing of a film
- Go to a cinema with a bar in it to watch a film
- Watch all Stanley Kubrick’s films
- Watch all Alfred Hitchcock’s films
- Watch at least 5 documentaries
- Watch every Best Picture Oscar winning film.
My goal is to have made a serious dent in these by the end of the year, but I haven’t really set myself a deadline. Lots of these I have already made a start on – I have seen 166 of the IMDB top 250 already, been to the National Theatre before, seen a musical in a theatre and seen lots and lots of films in a foreign language for example, but I have put them on the list to encourage me to continue or repeat some of the things I enjoyed.
Anyway this became a much longer post than I intended it to be so I should probably stop here. One more thing is that if you’re curious as to how many of these goals you have already completed, this website is a pretty easy way to take a look.
I won’t blog about every single thing I watch but I will post about anything that I come across that is particularly interesting. Have you got any suggestions for my list?